Sunday, April 24, 2011

Wrestling with God

For about 4 weeks, I have been having lower back pain. I’ve had back pain before that went away so naturally I thought that would happen in this case. Well over the last 2 weeks the pain has been worsening. The last 2 days, the pain has been unbearable. I was going to try to wait it out the weekend and go see my doctor this week. This morning (Resurrection Sunday) I was eager to be in church, when I got out of bed with much effort, I could hardly take 3 steps without thinking I would collapse in pain. So I made the decision to go to urgent care. At urgent care I found out that my sciatic nerve was inflamed. I’d heard of sciatica before but I had no idea what it meant. The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve that comes from the spine, across the lower back, buttocks, and leg. When it’s irritated or inflamed it can be debilitating. I was on my way to debilitating today if I had not gone to urgent care.

When I got home my curiosity had me looking up more information on the sciatic nerve. I did a search and a few results included some very interesting references to the sciatic nerve. A couple of search results referenced the account in the Bible where Jacob wrestled with God (Genesis 32). Jacob wrestled with God and refused to let HIM go until HE blessed him. During the wrestling match, the MAN touched Jacob in the hip/thigh area. Some refer to this area as the sciatic nerve. That information caused me to apply Jacob’s experience to my own.

The Life Application Study Bible (New Living Translation) states:
“Jacob continued this wrestling match all night just to be blessed. He was persistent. God encourages persistence in all areas of our lives, including the spiritual. Where in your spiritual life do you need more persistence? Strong character develops as you struggle through tough conditions.”

Jacob states in Genesis 32:26 “I will not let YOU go unless YOU bless me.”

I’m following Jacob’s lead! I’m going to be persistent! I am struggling through some tough conditions and I refuse to let GOD go! He has ordered my steps and I trust Him in every area of my life!

God, you know the things that I am wrestling with mentally, physically, financially and spiritually! I won’t let YOU go until YOU bless me. Just like Jacob, I know YOU have a calling on my life and an assignment for me to complete. YOU changed Jacob’s name to Israel and made him the father of a great nation. YOU changed my name and I know you have birthed and are birthing some things in me! I won’t let YOU go until YOU bless me! Amen!!!!

What are you wrestling with?

Peace & Blessings!
IJ

No comments: